Allison's Reviews > Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool

Screamfree Parenting by Hal Edward Runkel

Nov 14, 2010

bookshelves: kindle-e-book
Read from November 11 to 14, 2010

I found this book to be not necessarily full of new wisdom or thoughts, but rather better in explaining ideas that have been around in various different parenting books.

It takes several different variations on parenting and successfully merges them in a philosophy of parenting rather than a "how-to" or as an "attitude adjuster" sort of handbook.

In many ways I found that to be irritating as well as beneficial. One of the things I like about a good handbook is a step by step guide, which ScreamFree specifically says they do not do. However, they do address why their book is instead about helping the parent to focus on their own behavior.

In many ways I could easily compare this to Cesar Millan's [The Dog Whisperer] words about how he 'Trains humans, but rehabilitates dogs'. In the same way, ScreamFree Parenting seems to be about controlling yourself as an adult in a multitude of situations because a child is, by definition, not going to respond in an adult fashion. And it is this understanding that allows a parent to relax and let go of frustration and anger.

Until you lower your expectations on yourself, namely to have little adults in the house that act just so, you will always find your anxiety level high. Because children cannot fit into a perfect mold to be 'little adults'.

I don't think this book is a mover and shaker, but in many ways it is the best parenting book I've come across simply because it is a validation for parents to come to terms with their own need to grow up. It's really difficult to explain this concept simply, so I'll leave that to the book. But I do highly recommend the read as it spurs a lot of self-insight and introspection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screamfree Parenting.