Rane's Reviews > Rebel

Rebel by Zoe Archer

1987431
Nov 11, 2010

bookshelves: paranormal-pnr-supernatural, victorian-era, keeper, steampunk

Zoe Archer has a way of showing the reader not only the settings but reflecting them in the books, from the Indian Jones desert feeling in the Warrior to the topical fun island hopping of the Scoundrel to the harsh dense wildness of Rebel. Rebel is much darker then the two earlier books with the setting a cold, amazing and vast frontier of Canada. Making the magic so pronounced in the BOTR world feel like a wolf watching from the shadows, waiting ….

Nathan Lesperance and Astrid Bramfield meet in this setting, and like a moth to a flame, both feel a powerful draw to each other. Astrid has turned her back on her old life after the death of her husband, just living day to day, she feels the cold shell she’s encased herself in slowly melting away when Nathan walks into her life. Nathan is a Native attorney, caught in between two worlds, not truly belonging to either, but feeling that he’s finally come home when he steps foot at the edge of civilization in this cold frontier, no more so then when he meets Astrid and feels a deep connection. When the Heirs come to the frontier looking for information, they sense a magic that embraces Nathan somehow, and it’s up to both Astrid and Nathan to find out what the Heirs are planning and stop them before it’s to late.

Rebel may have been on the darker side; there was nothing dark or cold between Nathan and Astrid. From the moment both meet, the heat is on between them! While Nathan embraces the connection between the two wanting to know more about himself and Astrid, Astrid fights it tooth and nail. After losing the man she loved, but more importantly not being able to protect and help him, Astrid has shut down everything, and has just “lived”. Nathan may have acted sort of Alpha male sometimes, but it never got on my nerves like other characters. He was caring and loving, strong, but he knew when fight and when to back away, and respected Astrid deeply, trusted her knowledge of the wilderness. The best thing I felt about Nathan was while Astrid built a wall around herself after her lost, Nathan kept going, and started knocking down the wall Astrid built one brick at a time. By his own life he’s lived, he made Astrid take a step back and see what her grief has done to those around her.
It was hard to warm up to Astrid, and it took sometime for me, her one step forward, two steps back way of doing things go on my nerves. I understood where she was coming from, for anyone whom has lost a love one, we all can understand and relate to her, but I felt she was just to selfish, not talking to everyone whom loved her for years and whom grieved for her. That was pretty low, and she wasn’t the only one whom lost somehow she cared about. This is the front she keeps using to try and keep Nathan at arms length and Nathan being the great guy he is, pushes her to see her mistake. Astrid more so then Nathan is the one whom has a lot of healing to do, and coming to terms with her past and finally letting go.
Cause between Nathan and Astrid, their relationship is smokin’ hot, whew! I’m surprised the ice didn’t melt off the mountaintops when these two got together! ZA makes the couples of the BOTR world, fit so right together. And Nathan and Astrid are like two pieces of the puzzle, being alike but different, and while Astrid make their relationship a tad slow at times, their were amazing when they finally got together, said their I Love Yous and kicked some Heirs butt!

Even in a different setting, ZA doesn’t miss a beat with Rebel. The story just keeps you reading, with more unfolding of the Heirs plans of trying to take over the world’s magic. With a few new and old characters being introduced- Catullus Graves the true keystone of the BOTR series helps Astrid and Nathan with their mission, while being his kick-ass self, and showing a new cool invention! I really can’t wait to read his story, as the more you read about him, the more you have to and want to know more about him. Rebel leaves the reader with a little taste of what’s to come for his story and the new book!

The Blades of the Rose series, just keeps on this amazing reading ride, that I don’t wanna see end! I gobble up each book with Rebel being no exception (stayed up late into the night reading!) and it just leaves me loving the series and just wanting more and Rebel just added more to this amazing series that I can’t get enough of!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel.

11/24/2010 page 398

Comments (showing 1-16)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane I hate media mail shipping, I really do...*waits a few more days to get her copy of Rebel*

♡Karlyn P♡ Get a kindle. :-) But seriously, for some reason this series is being released early to Kindle readers too. Rebel was released one day earlier than the paperback version, and Stranger will be released one week early!

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Get a kindle. :-) But seriously, for some reason this series is being released early to Kindle readers too. Rebel was released one day earlier than the paperback version, and Stranger will be rele..."

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: ""

*LOL* I'm not getting mine till X-mas (just 45 days!!!!!)

♡Karlyn P♡ Rane wrote: "KarLynP wrote: ""

*LOL* I'm not getting mine till X-mas (just 45 days!!!!!)"

That is so cool!! I hope you like it. I took MelissaB's advice and got the Kindle lighted cover and love it. I initially got a generic case but the elastic corners didn't hold it. My kindle kept falling out of the case, so it was worthless. Be sure to tell everyone you only want gift cards to Amazon for Christmas, because that 1-click buying is soooo easy. LOL! I'm now just getting the free-sample most of the time, and will only buy it when I am ready to actually read it. They are going to start a lending program too, so many of should be able to swap books from time to time.

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Rane wrote: "KarLynP wrote: ""

*LOL* I'm not getting mine till X-mas (just 45 days!!!!!)"

A lighted cover?

I'm looking forward to the lending program, giving other readers a chance to read a book they maybe leery of buying

♡Karlyn P♡ Rane wrote: "A lighted cover?"

Yes, it has a built in light that is powered off of your Kindle. The Kindle is securely latched into the case, and that it how it derives power for the light. The case is not bulky either, which surprised me. It is some pretty cool design engineering. But if you want to hold off, I'll send you my old Kindle case and clip on light for free. I have no use for them now. Here is a link to the lighted cover:

Rane Wow! That's really cool, and no glare either?

Oh! *hugs* Yes, Please!! Thank you so much, do you need me to PM you or drop you an email??
*huggles* Thank you again Karlyn!!

♡Karlyn P♡ PM me :-)

message 6: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Wow--that Blades of the Rose fangirl graphic is AMAZING!!! :)

message 5: by Rane (last edited Dec 03, 2010 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Zoe wrote: "Wow--that Blades of the Rose fangirl graphic is AMAZING!!! :)"

Thank you so much Zoe! Showing my BOTR support! :D

message 4: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rane wrote: "Thank you so much Zoe! Showing my BOTR support! :D"

I love it! Maybe we can get a BOTR army going!

♡Karlyn P♡ Rane you rock! I agree, Great graphic. I should add that graphic to my reviews too.

Rane Zoe wrote: "Rane wrote: "Thank you so much Zoe! Showing my BOTR support! :D"

I love it! Maybe we can get a BOTR army going!"

I think the army (fanbase) is already growing with each book that is read :D

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Rane you rock! I agree, Great graphic. I should add that graphic to my reviews too.

PS: finally going to start 'stranger' in the morning, can't wait to see how this all wraps up."

Yeah! Show your BOTR fangirl love Karlyn! ;D

Oh, I'm sooo jealous of you! Going to write an review after your done reading :D? :D? :D?