Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Nov 11, 2010

bookshelves: reviews
Read from January 06 to 30, 2011

Wither was one of my most anticipated books of 2011 so when the absolutely awesome Brianna from Bree's Books mailed me a copy I flipped out! The cover is just gorgeous and the plot is totally unique. I was so worried that Wither wouldn't live up to my high expectations of the book, but luckily it went above and beyond everything that I had hoped for. The whole idea of an entire generation's children only living a short amount of time is simply amazing!

Rhine was such a great female lead. Her voice was incredibly strong which made it effortless to be transported into her shoes. She was a strong willed and driven character that I found myself liking from the beginning. I adored how much she loved her brother, Rowan, and how she would do anything to get to him.

My favorite part of Wither was the Sister Wives. Jenna was strong yet graceful while Cicely was annoying yet naive and Rhine was loving and persistent. The mixture of these three made up one kick butt trio! They are definitely some of my all time favorite characters because of how much they grew throughout the story.

I loved how DeStefano characterized Linden. He was a character that I wanted to hit in the face, then ice his wounds because he's so innocent. I love that he was likable even though there is such a strong reason to completely hate him. Gabriel was the perfect guy for Rhine in my eyes. He's strong and warm-hearted. The only problem was that I wish there was more of him in the story. He felt like he was only a passerby. Although the glimpses we did get of him, I highly enjoyed!

Although the ending wasn't everything that I had hoped for, it is a great lead in for book two. It was suspenseful and had me on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what was going to happen next.

Amazing Quote:
"I'll tell you something about true love. It's no science to it. It's as natural as the sky."

Characters: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Voice: 4/5
Plot: 4.5/5
Impact: 4.5/5
Overall: 5/5

Wither is such an amazing book. I loved going through this journey with Rhine and I truly can't wait to spend more time in her world. You definitely need to pick this up when it's released on March 22nd.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jasmine Cervik I am so jealous!!

Katie - The Literary Files aw I can't wait for you to read it! :)

message 1: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em - of Everything Books tell me if you like it!