Sara Pauff's Reviews > Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival at a New England Prep School

Restless Virgins by Abigail Jones

Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: guilty-pleasure
Read from November 11 to 23, 2010

In spite of what the book jacket copy conveys, the plot of this book really doesn't have much to do with the 2005 sex scandal at Milton Academy. There are no interviews or first person accounts with any of the students involved. Instead, the book focuses on the lives of a group of seniors who only hear about the incidents and details their dating lives. Older generations might be shocked by the sex habits of these teenagers, but the parts of the book that really stuck with me were the descriptions of opulence that these kids lived in -- spring vacations in the Caribbean, designer bookbags, school-sponsored trips to New York City. I was fascinated and then I was disgusted. Toward the middle of the book all the details of their hook-ups and whiny high school dramas start to blend together and it's hard to get through to the end. It was an interesting look at life at a New England private school, but don't expect to care about the characters. The story leaves them looking like a bunch of overprivileged babies, screaming to be adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Restless Virgins.