Lucy's Reviews > Mary Ann in Autumn

Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin

Nov 14, 10

Read from November 11 to 12, 2010

I think for all of us who have lost our hearts in San Francisco through the pages of the Tales of the City books it is as though we are back in the arms of great friends when a new book comes out.

With such a long gap between ‘Sure of You’ and ‘Michael Tolliver Lives’ we were in for a real treat when just this Thursday ‘Mary Ann in Autumn’ was released.

So on a cold wet and windy London morning I braved the elements and got on a bus and a couple of trains and found myself in the warmth of the ‘Gays the Word’ bookshop. There followed a wonderful conversation about the goings on in 28 Barbary Lane and also the great excitement that the said shop is hosting a book reading with Mr Maupin himself on the 28 November. Liz and I will be lucky enough to be there to hear him read from the book and maybe even an autograph or two! So having picked up my copy of the book plus tickets I retraced my steps back home

As the wind raged outside I settled down on my settee with Poppy and read and read and immersed myself in that world once again. As ever I was far from disappointed, all the characters were there, age had changed them but they were still the people we know and love. Their lives had taken different roads but as ever they all led them to the same place.

Armistead has such a wonderful way of bringing you into that world, secret links to past books. It would be ok if this were your first trip down Barbary Lane but it is much better to have trodden that path before or you would miss out on a few of the stories. I only paused my reading for sleep and finished it the very next day. Mary Anne returns from New York to her ‘real’ family in a time of need and they are all there for her. Mrs Madrigal still holds all her wisdom and Michael still calls her Babycakes. It has a great twist at the end that will surprise you!

I was touched with great sadness as I closed the pages I wanted to linger in their world a while longer, a wondeful book! go and get your's now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Ann in Autumn.

11/11/2010 page 75
24.67% "LOVING IT!!!"
11/12/2010 page 195
64.14% "sad only 100 pages to go;-("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paul Jr. Just met Mr. Maupin this past Thursday at his L.A. signing. Lovely man and very funny.

Lucy We get to meet him in a couple of weeks, can't wait! and such a great book!

Gill "I wanted to get my copy of the book somewhere special, where it is welcomed with the knowledge of it’s place in our history, where it meant something."
That's lovely Lucy, thank you for articulating exactly how I felt.