Danielle's Reviews > Life and Death in Shanghai

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng

Apr 07, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, danielle-recommends
Read in March, 2008

After my second time reading this book (the first was a few years ago in college) I'm pleased to discover that it's really as powerful and moving as I remember it being. I read it this time with my husband and it was awesome to have someone to talk about it with. Although, the number of times in our discussions that one or the other would say, "I just can't believe such a thing could happen" are too many to count. As depressing and unbelievable as it is for me to contemplate Cheng's story (and so many others like her) actually happening in recent history, it does make me grateful for so many civil freedoms I take for granted.
On the practical side, this book totally opened my eyes to a period of world histroy I knew practically nothing about. I admire Cheng's courage and faith so much. It's amazing that with the horrendous things she had to endure, and being surrounded by such madness, she was able to recount her experience rationally and in a way that Westerners could understand. To me, she is a supreme example of integrity, and I would especially recommend this book to my LDS friends. Although, I think everyone should read this book just to get a feel for what the Cultural Revoltion was like from the inside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Death in Shanghai.