Saravannan's Reviews > Through a Glass, Darkly

Through a Glass, Darkly by Jostein Gaarder

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: philosophy
Read from December 13 to 14, 2010

I was not halfway thru the book when I knew I would not like it and I was quite right. I was quite disappointed with the book. It has no plot what so ever. It has 2 individual talking about life, heaven, God, and things like that. I think this book is meant to make us think, provoke our thoughts, and make us wonder. And quite honestly, it didn’t. In fact, I think some of the statements contradict with each other.

For example, Ariel states that God was very tired after the 7th day (after creating the world of course), but few pages after that, he talks about fishes evolving into amphibians and start walking on land (which suggests evolution theory is correct, i.e. the world and animals took billions of years to be created as it is now).

Another example is Ariel said that since he is not made of flesh and blood, he can’t ‘feel’ anything, but later in the book, he claimed that he has a lot of fun jumping across asteroids and riding comets. He also laughs at certain points in the book. How can he know what is ‘fun’ and ‘funny’ when he can’t ‘feel’ anything?

Anyway, even though being a short story as it is (only 161 pages), I really struggled to finish it. I even skipped few pages to go straight to the ending. And it still made no difference, I still didn’t like the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through a Glass, Darkly.