Carla's Reviews > The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Heroine's Bookshelf by Erin Blakemore

Nov 10, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in November, 2010

Ms. Blakemore reminds us of the unforgettable inspirational women in fiction and the strong women that created them. I was invited back to my favorite heroines, the novels I re read over the years, with new eyes knowing now the stories of the strengths and weaknesses of the women behind them. Ms. Blakemore takes us on a journey of life lessons that these amazing characters and writers give us. The life lessons inventively are taught as Lizzy Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) teaching Self, Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind) teaching Fight, to Mary Lennox (The Secret Garden) teaching Magic as examples. Well worn pages of books turned to at certain times in life to find inspiration through the heroine is now an open book in The Heroine's Bookshelf. Guilty of this quite often, The Heroine's Bookshelf is a journey I look forward to embark upon again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroine's Bookshelf.