Spynonu's Reviews > Gideon's Sword

Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston

Nov 10, 2010

Read in November, 2010

I was hoping to see a totally new character from these authors but instead they combined the traits of two of their most popular characters and gave him a twist. Gideon is interesting but they missed an opportunity to make him REALLY interesting but giving him a talent that is all his own. Gideon ends up being a regurgitation of Pendergast and D'Agosta in personality and isn't nearly as interesting.

P and C like to write what they know so you will see familiar themes of fine food, fine clothing, expensive drink, magic, Latin, Mandarin, music and yes, Goth. A character that is well known and loved in other books shows up here as supporting cast as well. It is like getting a comfortable old shoe when you thought you were getting something custom made and new.

I still liked the book. I just like the writing of P and C. In Gideon Crew they take you on a wild ride through several countries, deliver a history lesson, explore science all while you are dodging bullets and hanging on through dramatic car chases trying to figure out who to trust.

I will be in line when the next Gideon Crew book comes out.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon's Sword.