Maurinejt's Reviews > Out of the Dark

Out of the Dark by David Weber

1220877
Nov 11, 10

Read in November, 2010

3/4 of the book was a thoroughly fun read about humans vs an alien invasion bent on genocide. I am not a military sci-fi person, and I was surprised at how much fun it was. Who cares about character or subtle plots, let's blow up some aliens! And aside from the occasional monologue or internal dialogue that ran on too long, it worked beautifully. However, the ending totally lost me. It felt like Weber painted himself into a plot corner and couldn't figure out how to get out. Deux ex Machina at its finest. Without giving too much away, I think the ending could have worked in the hands of a different author, but Weber is not that author. He excels at the concrete, military and political struggles, not ideas more ephemeral. For this particular plot point to work, it needed to be an intregal part of the story from the beginning, and dealt with throughout to be effective, and the major questions asked during the whole of the novel had to include that...solution...instead of using it purely as a mop-up strategy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Dark.