Nafiza's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, net-galley
Read from August 18 to 22, 2011

You see, the trouble with the recent spate of dystopian novels (in the YA genre) is that after the initial two or three, they all start to blur into one another. Here's some advice for other budding writers out there from a voracious reader: If you are going to attempt to tell a story that is very similar to one that has already been told (and told spectacularly) either try to do something entirely different with the subject or better yet, write something entirely different. This is the problem I had with Wither and it's the same problem I have with Eve. You see, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood has already told the story of women being stripped of humanity and treated as wombs on two legs. And it has told that story in such a way that it will make the reader, especially the female ones, very, very aware of what could happen were their hard won freedom taken away. We are talking about a total loss of personal freedom here, people. Anyway, let's move on to Eve.

A trilogy is a story that is told in three books, yes, but all three books contain three separate stories. Each installment in the trilogy serves to narrate the complex threads of the plot and move the plot forward but EACH BOOK HAS A COMPLETE STORY. Eve reads like one third of a story. So one third of a book. One third of a book in a trilogy. Nothing happens in it. Nothing of any meaning. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing.

It drove me slightly batty. In case you can't tell.

This is not to suggest there are no good parts. There are. Definitely. I liked the budding friendship between Eve and her arch-nemesis; fight for survival tends to make people into friends. And the writing flows well enough. The world building is on the right track and the logic is actually sound. There's no sense of facts being cobbled together to force a story as in Wither. It's just that the characterization suffers. I mean, Eve is certainly not offensive. Nope. Unless stupidity is an offense. In which case, she might get life imprisonment. Her actions towards the end are just so...stupid. Honestly. I couldn't believe that she does what she did. And she got over the dire consequences of her actions so easily that it boggled my mind. That was not a good move on the author's part. I don't think so. The main character is not supposed to evoke eye rolling from the reader.

The romance seems forced. For a girl who has been told all her life that love and romance are evil and bad for you and men are of the same ilk as monsters, Eve gets over it really quickly. Even the expected conflict between the two are forced. It's just a bit "what?" with a large dose of "huh" thrown in for good measure.

I don't know, guys. Three quarters of the book seemed readable and then bam! It didn't. So. Yeah. Make up your own mind. (Or, you know, you could read The Handmaid's Tale.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

08/18/2011 page 95
48.0% "This is a bit more like it." 4 comments
08/21/2011 page 95
48.0% "It's like this. I wish there could be a different story other than teenage girls being forcefully impregnated because that's getting seriously old."

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 10: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Wow. Two one-star books in one day. You must have had a bad haul this time. :/

Nafiza Seriously bad. If the next book I read isn't good, I might be moved to murder. :(

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica If I rated a book that bad, I wouldn`t bother reading the next one in the series. >.<

Nafiza Yeah. I'm not reading the next one.

Aleeeeeza ME NEITHER! i had a feeling you wouldn't like this one much either. i think i should stop reading so many fantasies and dystopians and stick to contemporary. at least that way i'm less prone to tearing all my hear out from frustration :X

Nafiza I think we've over saturated ourselves on paranormalcy. I don't mind reading high fantasy. They usually bring in new stuff but meh. All these debuts seem to be the same old thing. Two guys, one girl, special destiny and repeat. Or, if it's dystopian, young girls and pregnancy. Yeah, been there and done that. It's called Handmaid's Tale. This is like the third one.

Aleeeeeza Nafiza wrote: "I think we've over saturated ourselves on paranormalcy. I don't mind reading high fantasy. They usually bring in new stuff but meh. All these debuts seem to be the same old thing. Two guys, one gir..."

tell me about ittt! high fantasy's great, i think, but PNR and now dystopias--they're just so...unoriginal! which is sort of uncool, seeing as how i just finished writing a PNR and will now have to work my butt off to make it as original as possible. oh well.

Aleeeeeza and yeah, all these lameass debuts, bleh! and they ALL seem to be trilogies. like, wtf?

Nafiza It's super annoying. Especially when it seems they just told one third of the story. A trilogy is three stories in three books not one story spread over three books. Someone tell these people that.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Nafiza wrote: "A trilogy is three stories in three books not one story spread over three books. Someone tell these people that."

Word!