Nafiza's Reviews > Forgotten

Jul 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read on July 01, 2011

The premise of this novel got me wildly excited. Short term memory loss is not something we have seen much of in this genre and an exploration into the consequences of losing your short term memory was entirely something I could happily digest. Forgotten tries to tell an interesting an interesting story and almost succeeds. These are the things that bothered me most:

1. How can she have "memories" of the future when it hasn't happened yet? Details I know but they kept on derailing me. The word memory is connotative of the past and juxtaposing it with the word "future" just seemed odd to me. Wouldn't premonition, prophecy whatever be a better term for what she believes could happen? Also, isn't the future elastic? Unless we're talking about destiny and fate and that's a far heavier discussion than I want to have at this moment. Anyway, it might just be me but I had a bit of trouble with her "remembering the future."

2. The lack of a plot. Seriously, there isn't a cohesive plot that ties threads and keeps the story going. I'm aware of the difficulties that are involved with writing a novel, believe you me, and I can even empathize with finishing your book and realizing that nothing much happens. That your book isn't a story so much as a collection of events thrown together, events that may or may not be linked together by a common thread. Her loss of memory, her brother, these are all vague details seemingly added into the plot to give it a somewhat more conclusive flavour but it fails.

3. The lack of investigation into her, what would be a good term for it? Disorder? There is a certain lack of curiousity, a certain absence of investigation into what is totally a supernatural phenomenon that, again, threw me off track. I wanted to know why London was the way she was and the explanation offered seemed weak to me.

4. The romance. Particularly, London. The melodrama and her overreaction totally killed any warm and fuzzy feelings I might have had about the relationship between London and the love interest. He seemed like a nice enough guy and his misdeed wasn't damning enough that she "forgets" him intentionally. Not if she wants me to believe that she is as in love with him as she proclaims. Actually, her proclamation rings hollow post forgetting so forgive me if I don't turn to mush the next time she says she's in love.

These aside, the book was interesting and it brought to the genre a much needed infusion of originality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten.

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Very jealous.

Nafiza My library is awesomesauce. :D

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Oh wait, it already came out. I retract my jealousy.
Haha just kidding, although yes, your library is really fast with new books.

Nafiza Dude, I got Tris and Izzie from Net Galley. *swooooon*

message 5: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy You're determined to make me jealous, huh... =.=
Likey Tris and Izzie so far?

Nafiza Haven't started reading it yet but I like the cover candy! Let's hope it's good. Hehe.