N_stefanie Akwa's Reviews > Henry David's House

U_50x66
Nov 10, 10

bookshelves: info-bios
Read in November, 2010

Henry David’s House by Henry David Thoreau and illustrated by Peter Fiore. I enjoyed this book because it took me back to remembering how simplistic Henry David Thoreau was and how it is we that make our lives complicated. The book is written as a journal from month to month. It talks about how he built his log cabin. How he communicated with nature, talking to the birds and other animals and even the plants and flowers. I loved how he built each piece of furniture in the cabin. He talked to several travelers and even once to a runaway slave.

The illustrations are beautifully drawn as a picture of what the journal was speaking of on that particular page. Each page has a flower on it representing either the time of year that page was written about or representing his mood at that time. He ends his story in winter, speaking of the pond just before it freezes. He ends his story saying we can never get enough of nature. Coincidentally, winter is approaching as I write this journal (of a sort), and I, too, must now go outside for a moment and enjoy one of the few days left of autumn.

This inspiring down-to-earth book would compliment a field trip to Botanic Gardens or a nature walk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henry David's House.