Heather's Reviews > The Space Between Trees

The Space Between Trees by Katie Williams

Nov 10, 2010

did not like it
Read in November, 2010

I have this habit of saving books that catch my eye or are recommended to a "to read" list online associated with my library card and request them much later, often having no memory of where the recommendation came from. I really wish I remembered for this book, because I would totally purge any other recommendations from the same source. This was just lousy, and I only finished it because I was mildly curious to find out which cliched "surprise" the murderer would turn out to be. And amazingly, I *was* surprised, because it was so much worse than I'd even imagined.

Was there a likable character in this novel? Or, rather, an interesting character? Because I've read plenty of novels with unlikable characters, but often that makes them all the more interesting, either because you find a reason to understand their flaws or because they're just so extremely over the top, you enjoy hating them. Alas, neither Evie, Hadley, their messed up parents, and so on and so on were this interesting. Evie doesn't really do any self analysis (written in the first person, the book would rely on that to give her more depth) and is just... blandly annoying. She's probably a realistic character, but that doesn't make someone I want to read about in fiction. Hadley's behavior is so erratic that even while you may occasionally start to sympathize with her, she then will do something idiotic enough that you just don't care anymore. Again, realistic, but who wants to read about that?

I had to laugh at the synopsis of the book displayed on Goodreads, presumably from the back of the book (I don't think that was it) publisher (that's where most of them seem to be at least)... "This was meant to be..." which goes on to describe a book I would have enjoyed. What it ended up being was a royal mess.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Trees.