Karen K's Reviews > Island Heat

Island Heat by A.J. Llewellyn

Dec 05, 10

bookshelves: dj-manly, ebook-owned, gay-hurt-comfort, gay-romance, aj-llewellyn, gay-drama, gay-established, gay-tear-jerkers
Read from December 03 to 05, 2010

There's just something about a story with an established couple that makes me feel warm and sweet inside. Don't get me wrong, I love the excitement of first times whether it's meeting, kissing, touching, making love, but being in the lives of a couple who've been together a while is just a whole different headspace.

Roman and Philippe are fun, gorgeous, loving, real-to-life characters who have experienced some heartache and trauma in their lives recently and are trying hard to re-establish themselves into their "old" world. It's not an easy feat when old issues still make them flutter a little inside - Roman's illness and feelings of insecurity regarding Tane, and Philippe's feelings of guilt for leaving Tane and for thinking about him at all when he's with Roman. But they persevere and support each other and that's what makes them such a beautiful couple. And speaking of Tane... I really wanted to dislike him, really wanted to make him the total, badder-than-bad villain but I wasn't able to - at least not completely. I didn't want him near Phillipe, didn't want him making Roman so sad and insecure, didn't want him offering up his threesome so he could wiggle his way between the two, but at the same time I found myself hoping he'd find someone else to love as deeply as he obviously still loved his ex.

I loved the setting and the plot of this story, and most especially the fact that breast cancer, as it pertains to males, was brought into the light. I never really knew much about it before and I found myself being educated on how it affects men. I also received a crash course on Tahiti, a place I thought I had a little wisdom about but was obviously mistaken. All the little trivias and facts as well as the brilliant descriptions of the island made the place come to life for me and I have to thank the authors for all the knowledge that I gained - and for the sniffles I ended up with at the end of the book.

One last note - the hotel in Vegas that Roman and Philippe were checking out - OMG, I so wanna live there!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island Heat.

message 1: by DJ (new)

DJ Manly Thanks Karen...so glad you liked.

D.J.

Karen K They're a fantastic couple, DJ. You and AJ rock together. :)