Jennifer Short's Reviews > Twelve Ordinary Men

Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur

Nov 10, 10

There seemed to be too much speculation and too little known facts about the majority of the disciples, but that didn't stop the author from going on and on -- I believe this book would have been better leaving out the speculation and sticking to facts. This would have meant the book would have been half it's length. Also, I noticed he used a verse to "prove" the death penalty was okay. I had to read this book for church, otherwise I wouldn't have made it through the first chapter. In non-fiction, I prefer facts to speculation. I think making this into a historical fiction book would have worked better because then the different things that were thrown in as "likely" wouldn't have irritated me the way it did in something suppossedly non-fiction. To know what the preferences of the disciples were based on the culutre of the day isn't fact. Nor the way he said "He never". Just because something isn't stated in Scripture doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelve Ordinary Men.