Skedatt's Reviews > Coronets and Steel

912075
Nov 10, 2010

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read in November, 2010

I liked it. I actually read the whole thing instead of skipping through like I do with other books. However, a word of warning. It is the start of a series. But thankfully, the action is brought to a nicely finished feel, while leaving me waiting for the sequel to finish up the broader plot lines.

The fantasy bit of it is more like X-Files than anything else: paranormal activity ranging from the usual ghosts and a passing mention of vampires to a Brigadoon kind of Bermuda Triangle around this country. So if you are looking for an overpowering urban fantasy, you aren't going to get it. Most of the book Kim is trying to fit everything into a scientifically sensible outlook--much like some of us would be if suddenly faced with the unexplainable. And that is why Kim is a wonderfully accessible character. She is just so...normal.

A possible downside to readers is that there are a lot of pop culture, classical, and all around eclectic kind of references. Some I recognized and some that I didn't. (The P.G. Wodehouse quotes just make me smile.) However, seeing as it is a first person narrative, it actually works to make her all that more real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coronets and Steel.