MissSusie's Reviews > Hungry for Happiness

Nov 10, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways
Read from January 23 to February 02, 2011

I just don’t think I enjoyed this book at all. Loretta was a miserable woman and the way she talked about overweight people was dreadful, I could understand if it was about herself like an inner dialogue we all have that but the way she spoke about her mother, her sister and her friends got to be too much. It’s one thing to worry about their health but to call then fat tubs o’lard or fatties was just over the top. Also I really doubt everyone is called bub, southern people calling you hun yes but I guess everything in this book was just over the top.

The description of this book is deceiving especially saying this is moving, witty and uplifting there is nothing uplifting in this book and it says it will resonate with woman of any size well it resonated with me and NOT in a good way.

I was also a bit offended by the discussion questions in the back of the book, the first one talks about Loretta’s social status and does she try to elevate it, well yes she does that’s all through the book but the way these questions are worded is offensive. I am not from Texas or from the south but I think Texan woman would be very offended by this book or at least should be.

Maybe if this book was written by a woman who has been through weight loss and stomach banding it may have been uplifting but it was written by a man who definitely doesn’t like women with a little meat on their bones.

2 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hungry for Happiness.

01/24/2011 page 20
01/29/2011 page 77
22.0% "not sure what I think of this one yet!"
01/31/2011 page 168
48.0% "still not sure about this one"
show 4 hidden updates…