Cheryl Landmark's Reviews > A Spoonful of Poison

A Spoonful of Poison by M.C. Beaton

Nov 13, 2010

liked it
Read from November 11 to 13, 2010

I enjoy reading cozy mysteries every now and then. I'm a huge fan of the Jessica Fletcher "Murder, She Wrote" books. This is the first Agatha Raisin book I've read. When I picked it up, I thought it would be very similar to the Jessica Fletcher novels; an older woman solving mysteries in a small English village instead of a small town in the United States. I was wrong and a little disappointed. Agatha Raisin is definitely not your typical sweet, aging lady detective. She's abrasive, rude, insecure and extremely man-hungry. While these traits make for a few humourous moments in the novel, I found that some of them, particularly her constant obsession with every man she meets, wore thin after awhile and became more and more annoying the further I read on. And, I thought she was actually quite mean to Toni Gilmour, her young detective, near the end just because she was jealous of Toni's youth and beauty. The mystery almost seemed secondary to the story and not as important as the cranky, rude interaction of Agatha with the other characters. When I picked up this book, I didn't realize it was the 19th one in the series. I will probably read a few more of the earlier books just to see if I like Agatha any better in them. Perhaps I just came upon her during a particularly difficult, troubling stage in her life (lol)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spoonful of Poison.