Crystal's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Nov 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read from May 01 to 03, 2011

Nailer is a ship breaker. He goes into old and wrecked ships to try and scavenge copper wire. Between him and his crew in order to stay eating they must meet a quota everyday and this work is not for the faint hearted. The descriptions of the tight places that Nailer had to endure made me feel claustrophobic. I have to give the author major props for his descriptions I could sense and feel everything Nailer went through, from the tight spaces to the thick oil when he fell, and the fumes that escape through his mask. This is Nailers life, but he knows that it is only a matter of time before he gets to be too big for all the tight spaces and somebody else takes his place among his light crew leaving him with hardly any options. See if you are too small for light crew and not big enough for heavy crew you are just out of luck. Luck plays a huge part in this book and we get to find out what happens when Nailer is presented with the biggest Lucky Strike of his life.
I am not quite sure what happened in this new world except that major hurricanes seemed to have wiped out most of the New Orleans area and now people are trying to find money and food any way they can. Compared to most dystopian books these days that give you no explanation as to why the world went down this is a pretty realistic one given all the natural disasters that have happened lately. I can buy this no problem. I guess my problem was that it felt a little anticlimatic. The author built such a huge plot that I really expected more at the end. Yes there was fighting, guns, and boats but I really wanted something more. I liked the book I really did and I really can't put my finger on why I wasn't enthralled with this one. All I can gather is that I wanted more. I will definitely read the sequel, I want to know what happens to Nailer, does he become swank or go back to living the life of a ship breaker?

If you like dystopia fiction I think you will like this one as it is one of hte better ones in the genre today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.

Arlene Hmmm, I might give this one a try. Dystopia fiction is one of my preferred genres. Glad you enjoyed it!

Crystal I think you might like it, Arlene =) After you read it we will have to chat about it!

Milly Wonderful review! Thanks for the insight on this book! I've been meaning to read this one for a while now! Sounds like it might just be worthwhile!