Kathryn's Reviews > Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum

Pop! by Meghan Mccarthy

Nov 10, 2010

bookshelves: biographies
Read in January, 2011

What fun! After loving McCarthy's Astronaut Handbook I was delighted to discover her latest book featuring that most delightful of creations, bubble gum. This is the story of the man who invented bubble gum in the 1920s and how it saved a company and brightened children's lives. It also shows the history of chewing gum. The story itself was maybe four stars of me, but I really fell in love with the Author's Note, which is full of charming, humorous and fascinating tidbits about bubble gum and related insights into culture and history. So, the overall product, five stars! I don't think it's as strong as Astronaut Handbook but if you or your kids enjoy bubble gum or the history of the 1920s then "pop" on over to your library and check out this book ;-) --Sorry for the cheesy pun, but this book just makes me feel like a giggling little kid! --

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop!.

Lisa Vegan The author's note did almost convince me to give this 5 stars too.

It was kind of sad what happened to him though, a bit dark for very young kids, especially given the fun aspect of the subject.

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 13, 2011 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn True. I think she talked about it in a hopeful way, what with his second marriage at such an old age and seemed really sweet, but I agree it would be so hard to outlive your first wife and especially your children like that. It did seem so sad after the bright tone of the story.

I'm never really sure if Author's Notes are for the kids or the parents/teachers? There have been many other cases when the Author's Notes have contained things I would not want to share with young children. And sometimes they are written at a higher reading level. Anyway, I think given my experiences with them I will "preview" Author's Notes before reading them to kids. They contain great info, but if there are some disturbing elements in there I could always just share the other stuff verbally with the kids or skip that part in reading to them.

Lisa Vegan I think the notes are for parents and teachers to share if they want but also for older children who are able to read them. Ages 8 or 9 & up.