Crystal's Reviews > Orphans Preferred: The Twisted Truth and Lasting Legend of the Pony Express

Orphans Preferred by Christopher Corbett

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: historical-non-fiction
Read from July 05 to 28, 2011

I enjoyed this book very much. It's a little slow past the first chapter in which Corbett fills the book out with a wealth of detailed information of everything having connections to the Pony Express.
Apparantly, there isn't much factual information out there that can be definately said about the Pony Express, so the book would be incredibly short (already it is not a thick novel) without the additional information. I started to enjoy the asides in the second half of the book when he talks in detail about figures such as "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Robert "Pony Bob" Haslam, Mark Twain and Wild Bill Hickock and their contributions to the Pony Express and the Wild West.

The thorough knowledge of everything having to do (and not directly having to do) with the Pony Express makes me confident as a reader that Corbett has done his homework and knows the subject well enough that I can trust what I'm reading. I also liked that his opinions didn't come into the book too often, and gave a rather journalistic and unbiased picture so I can draw my own conclusions.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orphans Preferred.