Emily's Reviews > The Widower's Tale

The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass

Nov 16, 10

Read from November 10 to 15, 2010

I think I'm physically unable to give Julia Glass anything less than four stars. I just love her writing. I can see where people fault her for unrealistic and over-written dialogue and too many sub-plots, but I just really enjoy her! I loved Percival Darling, even if he seemed to step out of some Henry James novel. He was just such a clever, fun old man. I think this book would have benefited from some editing though. I did think there were too many subplots and too many "on topic" issues dealt with here, that it was exhausting to keep up with them all. Ecoterroism, gay marriage, immigration, breast cancer, widowhood, marital problems, end of life crises, etc etc. I would have enjoyed a simple tale just about Percy, but that's not what Glass prefers. I wasn't crazy about the ending either and it seems Glass has gone for the semi sucker punch ending for her last two books now! I don't need unicorns and rainbows, but what's with the low-down endings?? I still think it was a job well done and I love her writing style!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widower's Tale.