Tommy's Reviews > I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World

I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King Jr.

M_50x66
Jun 15, 08

bookshelves: social-change, non-fiction
Recommended for: Everyone...read it twice
Read in June, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr. was simply amazing and this collections of writings and speeches gives a great picture of what he was like, what he stood for and how truly revolutionary and visionary he was.

If people would just read what he wrote and said they would appreciate him so much more. I think especially about how King claims that poor white people should be marching with them because they are both being held down by the same force and how currently they are fighting for their oppressors. The current day call for affirmative action based on class not race would not be lost on King. It is exactly what he was preaching. It just so happened that black poverty was much more universal in King's time.

His calls for justice, and especially dignity, still seem visionary and we are still struggling with and defining these problems (for instance, Robert Fuller's dignitarian movement is exactly what King was teaching and almost exactly the way King was framing it)

King is one of the greatest minds in history and the world would be better off if they actually KNEW what he said and believed and not just the reader's digest version we too often give in high school history classes now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have a Dream.