Alyssa's Reviews > The Day Before

3631974
Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in November, 2011

The big day is tomorrow, the day Amber has been dreading for months. To escape her problems, she skips school and goes to the beach. There she meets Cade, who is escaping his own problems. They spend the day together, no questions asked, but soon learn what each are escaping, and possibly how they can help each other.
The most interesting and striking thing about this book is that it's written in verse. It enables you to zip through the book in a few hours, but it also enables you to read words and phrases exactly how the author intends you to read them. Schroeder uses spacing and alignment in ways no other novel I've ever read has: to evoke emotion. You could feel the way Amber was putting off actions or how she felt about certain things just by the way the words looked on the page and no more. I loved reading like this, and to me it almost didn't matter what the story was, it was the experience of reading it that I liked the most. It's worth it to slow down your reading and to think the words exactly as Schroeder intends you to, because of how much she is able to convey.
This is definitely recommended for the reader who is open to something a bit out of the ordinary, and it has a decent story to boot.
Definitely going to pick up the rest of her books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day Before.