Aisa's Reviews > The Best of Friends

The Best of Friends by Susan Mallery

Nov 10, 10

bookshelves: romance, friendship

The Best of Friends is not a romance story. While Jayne and Daniel has their own love story, Rebecca with her torrid affairs, and the rest of the Wordens with their own romance lapses, this is definitely not a romance story. Like its title, it tells us about the friendship between two very different woman, Jayne and Rebecca. Each comes from a very different society but incidentally becomes friends. At the beginning, I believe Rebecca has a heart under her facade. Yes, Rebecca is a selfish person. I don’t expect her to turn angelic but the story’s progress drives her character worse. She becomes the ultimate bitch in the story (if not her mother – which I am totally alright with her being so superficial – considering she is a secondary character). The men do not really have their own substance. I mean, now and then, we get a glimpse of what they are thinking, but that’s it. It just comes and goes. Jayne is a push-over, goody-two-shoes, with a specific allergy to the riches. I like Jayne and Rebecca and when they’re together as friends, great. Both of them are not perfect and the dynamics between the characters (all of them) are quite interesting.
The ending seems loose. It leaves us the question about the outcome. Will Rebecca get Jayne’s forgiveness or not? Since it is a stand-alone book, we’ll never get the question answered. It will depend on the reader.
The upside is it is a unique book with not-oh-so-perfect characters. Real characters. I just wish the author will give a little heart for Rebecca’s mother and a little substance to the male counterparts.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Friends.