Lisa's Reviews > The Longed Tales: The Chained King and the Castle of Mystery

Dec 14, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, own, read-in-2010
Read in December, 2010

I won this book through Goodreads and was very, very excited to read it. The cover is gorgeous and the description of the book sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I was disappointed :(

I had a horrible time getting into the story and eventually found myself doing more skimming than reading. I left it just sit for weeks at a time. Finally, around page 100, I decided to call it quits. I feel really bad about it. I really wanted to like this book. It just wasn't for me. I think that the main issue that I had with it is that Steven, the main character is soon entering college and yet he seemed more like a 12-year-old to me. In fact, the book felt a lot like a child's book. The writing style was also very hard to get into. Something about it just seemed...off.

Please don't think though that the book was all bad. The author does have talent. This being only his first book, I can definitely see where he could have some amazing work with time and practice.

It is really hard for me to give up on a book, especially with it being a first reads win. Even as I write this there is a part of me that is wanting to give it another try. Maybe one day I will. Or, maybe I will pass this book on to someone else in hopes of finding someone who will love and appreciate the story.

Three stars because it would be unfair to give anything less since I did not complete the book. Thank you Mohamed for the chance to read this story and may you one day become a great and successful writer!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longed Tales.

11/23/2010 "I wanted to wait until all my current reads were complete before started this one but I am so impatient! I LOVE the cover art for this book and it is really pulling me to it. My hubby even mentioned the awesome cover when the book first arrived!"
show 2 hidden updates…

Lisa Did someone know that I've really been craving a good fantasy book lately? I'm really excited to get this one!