Beverly's Reviews > Time's Arrow

Time's Arrow by Martin Amis

Jan 21, 08

Recommended for: People who don't care for Martin Amis's other books

It continues to amaze me how those who claim to be fans of Martin Amis haven't heard of or read Time's Arrow. This book is a masterpiece in experimental fiction. He literally, methodically, writes the story backwards as his character experiences time going backwards. I don't know of any other author who has attempted and succeeded in doing this. It's been a while since I read it, but what I remember was the uncanny sense that I was experiencing time backwards as I read it. I began questioning what was happening to the event of reading, to me!, through this process of a narrative that runs itself backwards. It was requiring that I begin to read the narrative differently, facts collected themselves on the pages chronologically backwards, cause and effect were reversed, action and responses were twisted, requiring the reader to think differently, to read differently. It's quite fascinating, and quite an amazing accomplishment for a writer. I am looking forward to finding the time to read it again soon. (note: I have tried his other books and never could get interested in them like I did this one. Tells me that if you don't usually like Martin Amis's books, you would probably like this one.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time's Arrow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

William There is that short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald 'Benjamin Buttons' that was made into a movie a couple of years ago.

William And then there is Being Dead by Jim Crace.

P.A.Baines I am 80% through and am finding the whole experience a little bit disorienting. I am listening to the audiobook version while I cycle to work and I have found myself almost cycling into things--such was the effect on my poor brain.

William P.A.Baines wrote: "I am 80% through and am finding the whole experience a little bit disorienting. I am listening to the audiobook version while I cycle to work and I have found myself almost cycling into things--suc..."

I don't think this particularly book lends itself to audio reading. I would have been way too confused to enjoy it.

P.A.Baines William wrote: "P.A.Baines wrote: "I am 80% through and am finding the whole experience a little bit disorienting. I am listening to the audiobook version while I cycle to work and I have found myself almost cycli..."

I finished it this morning. I didn't find it confusing, but then the person reading it was excellent. Really clear and just the right amount of "performance".