Janie's Reviews > Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese

Goat Song by Brad Kessler

196890
Nov 17, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Janie by: goodreads
Recommended for: Chris
Read from November 15 to 17, 2010

Cheesus. Well well done.

Kessler is simile's master and commander. (Or at least its shepherd.) He manages to make magnificent all the most potentially sophomoric figurative tricks. (I did roll my eyes a little that the moon is never "the moon". It's always the "[adj] + moon", the moon++.) He's great with tone and audience. The first half is hilarious *and* contemplative. The back end keeps up. I loved how recognizable his joy, his rhythm is. This is the way a story sounds from a person who is making what he wants of life.

Some of the attitudes towards reclaiming pastoralism and going back to the soil are short-sighted and misguided. But Kessler is living the examined life, so I cut him some slack and picked it up.

Musical pairing 1
Musical pairing 2
Musical pairing 3

(I love the kulning!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goat Song.

Quotes Janie Liked

Brad Kessler
“A book is like a key that fits into the tumbler of the soul. The two parts have to match in order for each to unlock. Then—click—a world opens.”
Brad Kessler, Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese