Paranormal Kiss's Reviews > On the Soul of a Vampire

On the Soul of a Vampire by Krisi Keley

Nov 10, 10

bookshelves: vampire, paranormal
Read in November, 2010

On the Soul of a Vampire by Krisi Keley, is an intense, deep and intriguing book. It delves into the life of an 800 year old vampire called Valery. The story is told from his point of view. It reads like his telling from a journal perspective. We get a very in depth description of his thought and feelings; perhaps a little too descriptive for my tastes but it works with this book.

In this book Valery comes across a young woman who is very strongly drawn to. The woman is Angelina. She has dreamed about Valery all her life and knows all about him. She senses when he is near her and eventually that meet face to face. Valery's initial intent is to kill her but he finds that he can't bring himself to do it. It follows him as he tries to discover why she knows so much about him and what she is trying tell him. She answers many of Valery's questions in a way that doesn't make sense to him and seems to circle around and around without giving a direct answer. The riddle talk that so frustrated Valery frustrated me at times as well.

This book kept my attention because I wanted to find out what everything meant. I wanted to know more about Angelina, what she knew and what it meant in relation to Valery. I also wanted to find out what would happen between Angelina and Valery. Would they find happiness together? Would he take her life?

This is not a light hearted story by any means. It is a thought provoking look into the psyche of a vampire and all the moral dilemmas that comes with being one. The author brings to light several points questioning whether or not a vampire killing to survive is evil or wrong. It talks about God and forgiveness.

The reason I didn't give this book a higher rating is because I felt it was lacking emotion. I didn't feel a connection with the characters. I wanted to find out what was going to happen to them but I didn't truly care one way or the other. Feeling a connection to the characters that I read about is important to me. This book doesn't make you feel so much as it makes you think.

While there were some things I didn’t like about this book there were others that I did. It was interesting and intriguing. It was very intelligently written. I really liked the French dialog with the translations at the bottom of the page. It impressed me that this was the author’s first novel. I wasn't surprised to learn that she has a degree in Theology. Her theological discussions showcased that. It was a refreshing change of pace from the usual vampire novels. The innocent deaths didn’t bother me because I felt it fit in with the character of Valery and what he was trying to accomplish. He’s a Vampire, he has to kill to survive and he has been doing so for 800 years. He is far from perfect however he has made an effort in all that time to try and not take innocent lives. I like that his character was flawed and tormented. It fit the story. He had a temper and was a bit unstable but I think many would be that way had they lived in his shoes. His character was very interesting while Angelina’s was very intriguing.

The explanation of things at the end was fantastical; it took me outside the box so to speak. I applaud the author for writing a book that is so different from the norm. Overall I thought this book was well done and I liked it. I think this author shows a lot of promise. I look forward to reading the sequel and finding out what happens next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Soul of a Vampire.

Krisi Keley Thank you so much for the review, Melinda! I really appreciate your taking the time to read On the Soul.
All the best,