Katie's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Nov 09, 2010

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011

This book was good. If you're interested in dystopia, read it! If you've been disappointed in the dystopia you've read, but aren't ready to give up on the genre yet, read it!

It doesn't feel like a modern American YA book, which is a good thing. There's a level of complexity to the language that I just haven't seen lately. It's also written in close third person, which is a nice change.

I thought the dystopian world, in general, made a lot of sense? How they got there, why the people in charge did that things they did. It felt thought out. And it felt more like something that really could happen that some dystopias do.

The romance was pretty well done. I wish I had rooted for them a little more, but I was pretty sold on it. And a spoiler. (view spoiler)

Anyway, this was just a solid read. I wish I'd been drawn in emotionally, but it was good.

ETA: Okay, reading over this review makes my reaction seem kind of tepid. It was just a really refreshing YA dystopia read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.

message 1: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara So in light of our recent conversation I should probably read this one right?

Katie Definitely! The romance is much less of a focus than usual. Like I said in the review, I wish I'd been drawn in more emotionally, but it was just so good compared to most I've read.

There's a sequel that came out recently, but it sounds like it's pretty different from this one, so I haven't sought it out. Maybe someday . . .

message 3: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara I will try to read it soon! Just starters two other books yesterday though. But I need to remember to go through my to-read shelf on here more often, just added a whole bunch of new books yesterday :D