Brenda's Reviews > Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry

Nov 09, 10

I was immediately drawn to this book because it takes place in West Virginia. Chris Fabry is a new to me author that captures the voice and flavor of our region beautifully. He writes his characters in such a way that you feel like you know them, people you would invite on your porch to sit a spell. In Almost Heaven he tells the story of Billy Allman, a man from the town of Dogwood WV.

Billy's big dream was to run a radio station, and with hard work and the help of God he accomplishes just that. He builds a radio station in his home. Things never went smoothly for Billy, with his share of heartache and tragedy, but with what I would call a child like faith he never lets life get him down and he never loses faith in God. There is also another side to this story, the story that is told by the guardian angel Malachi, who is sent to protect Billy throughout his life.

This is a story that will make you laugh and cry, you will also experience the power of God's love throughout this book. The author does an amazing job of taking an ordinary persons life and turning it into an extraordinary story of how everyone matters, how God will take the most humble, often ignored of his followers and do amazing things with their life.

I really enjoyed reading this story, I feel like my life is richer for having read it, I now feel compelled to read the other works by this talented author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Heaven.