Monique's Reviews > The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: classics, mystery, tv-film-adaptation, short-stories, thrillers, 2011, kindle
Read from March 23 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reading this classic short story by Washington Irvin really, truly 'cleansed the palate', as some book reviewers would put it. After reading mainly contemporary fiction, it was a breath of fresh air to read a classic piece of literature.

Some years ago, I saw the film adaptation of this book by Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp (who else? Say “Tim Burton” and the next name should be “Johnny Depp”) in the lead role of Ichabod Crane. Although the writers of the movie took certain liberties with respect to plot – like Ichabod, instead of being a teacher or instructor, became a police constable in the film – I still couldn't help imagining the actors' faces while reading the book. It helped a lot, I guess, taking into consideration that the book was written mostly in archaic, historical English, and it was a challenge grasping the imageries created by Irving. Thanks to him, I learned the meaning of Middle English words like “peradventure”, “pedagogue”, “stripling”, and “fain”, among others. I learned, too, the context in which they were used. (I know -- I learned something new today!)

It was a fun read, and I enjoyed reading Irving's evident love of adjectives. :D He wrote this book in a manner that he was the storyteller/narrator, as though someone else wrote the manuscript for him while he was telling a story out loud, the end result being this short story. Does that qualify as a third person point of view?

He also left the ending open to interpretation, which I liked. The mystery of Ichabod and the Headless Horseman will always be the subject of dis/agreements, but in my opinion, the solution to the mystery is clear and bright as daylight.

Have you read the book? I'd love to know what you think. ;)
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

message 1: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Mar 24, 2011 09:20PM) (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 I read it last year using a cheap audio book and it was so boring so I stop, stop from listening audio books and stop downloading them. Haha.

message 2: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I love your review, Monique!

Monique KWESI~ Haha, I know why you thought it was boring. It's just mainly talk; like I said, it's like Irving telling a story, and then somebody else transcribed it for him. There was hardly any dialogue. Maybe you'll appreciate the movie adaptations more-- there are several. :)

K.D.~ Thanks! And thanks for liking my review, too, Kwesi, Jzhun and Emir! :)

message 4: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev I remember reading this during high school for an English class. I was quite peeved because I thought it ironic that this one called a short story with its sheer length. Well, I end up watching the Disney cartoon adaptation. Ahaha! :{D

Nice review Monique!

Monique JZHUN~ I should read classics more. I don't remember reading much of it during my school days. My teachers probably didn't think they were important readings, heehee. :)

message 6: by Regine (new)

Regine i've read this. It was a nice read, but i enjoy tim burton's interpretation more!

And AHHH Christopher Walken <3

Monique REGINE~ I know, right. Loved that movie too!

message 8: by Tintin (new)

Tintin Am I the last person on earth who hasn't watched the Tim Burton movie yet!? D:

Monique TINTIN~ Of course not! ;)

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Say Tim Burton- Johnny Depp & also Helena Bonham Carter:D