Janet Jin's Reviews > The Demon's Covenant

F 50x66
Nov 09, 2010

it was ok
Read in November, 2010

I was ok with the Demon's Lexicon. Not particularly in love because none of the characters felt enticing or real to me, but I do enjoy SRB's writing and wit and was willing to give Covenant a try. It definitely didn't win me over much. The plot seems more intricate and the characters slightly more richly portrayed than the first novel, but I hated the narrative.

Mae is someone that the author tries so hard to make admirable, appealing, and original that she ends up coming across as contrived, selfish, and boring. She's terribly dull as a character with no personality qualities or special abilities except a repeated obsession with raves and dancing (literally every page has some mention of her past/present/future engaged in these pursuits) and some strange appeal to the men in this story. I'm still not clear why either Nick or Alan like her, maybe because she talks like a smartass (but then so does everyone). Her pink hair sounds awful (how often must she dye the roots?) and although she seems skilled at making out, I'm not sure that qualifies as something more than a superficial attractive quality.

And seriously, I started thinking towards the end that this girl would be willing to make out with anything and anyone. Hot kiss scenes are fun, but not between boring characters and not when there's one almost every chapter with a different guy.

Strangely, SRB's extra stories online plus the diary entries by Daniel Ryves in this book were awesome. They possess a charm and depth of story and feeling that seems absent from the actual text of the books (probably due to an un-compelling narrator in this case).

I have higher hopes for Demon's Surrender as Sin seems like an actually interesting personality and a true kick-ass female. However, I'm pretty sure there's going to be an Alan/Sin pairing (based on how predictably cliche the couples are in this trilogy) and I'm not keen on that. What's wrong with just having Alan and Nick stay together forever without being torn up by side girl characters? The brother's dynamic is the one aspect of this story I love but which continues to be spoiled by random crushes and all-too-convenient romantic sidelines. Maybe it'd be fun if they were actually convincing and not so obvious, but oh well. I'll probably finish the trilogy just for the heck of it.

BTW, the US covers are pretty ugly imo, at least compared to the UK ones which have lovely art. I mean Sin looks like an anorexic 30-year-old in this picture, and the flames are so cheesy and photoshopped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Covenant.

message 1: by Ryn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryn Everything you said. Like. Yes. Brain = fizzled with how much I agree.

(Except what you said about Sin, because she seems almost exactly like Mae to me. Mae-grown-up-in-magical-world = Sin.)

But your description of Mae is everything I was feeling in my heart and couldn't get into text ;) Ditto for Nick and Alan.