Julie's Reviews > The Second Coming

The Second Coming by David H. Burton

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 03 to 11, 2011

David Burton has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Why? His writing is exactly what I look for: something DIFFERENT. Yes, yes, I enjoy the sappy romance novels, the intellectual histories, and the various best sellers that I read; but, I also love it when I find a story that flies in the face of conventional thought. The Second Coming certainly qualifies as "unconventional."

Burton's ability to create a world with the written word astounds me. In The Second Coming, the earth has shifted on its axis; this catastrophic event resulted in the release of beings that have not roamed the earth in ages, and civilization as it was known is no more. There are demons, necromancers, Soul Runners, and more. Oh, but the fun does not end there in this fast paced ride.

There's Paine and Lya, a more interesting set of twins you will never meet; Brahm, a Soul Runner who actually has two souls in her body; John, a heretic and perhaps not quite what he seems; and many other characters who play fascinating roles as the story unfolds. Nothing is ever as you think it will be. This book will have you racing through the pages just to find out what will happen next, and how the characters will respond to each introduction and new event. Oh, and did I mention that the lines between good and evil may not be so clear cut?

This book is a great read for anyone who likes to shake things up a bit. If you are easily offended by (or even defensive about) the role of religion, you should steer clear of this book, because, believe me, this book will offend you. However, if you enjoy a challenge to convention, read this book; I think you'll find it as intriguing as I did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Coming.