Madeline's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

111921
This is the part where I'm supposed to go, "Ooh, this book is such a terrifying wake-up call to the dark side of our views of Paradise, and even though we wish death and pain weren't a part of our lives, they're necessary because without them we would be ignorant and lost, and blah blah blah..."

So: Ooh, this book is such a terrifying wake-up call to the dark side of our views of Paradise, and even though we wish death and pain weren't a part of our lives, they're necessary because without them we would be ignorant and lost, and blah blah blah.

I get it, Ms. Lowry. I'm sure everyone is right when they say this book is brilliant, 1984 for twelve-year-olds, etc, but...I just didn't like it. Plus the ending was kind of crap, and I wish you would've explained a lot more about how that world was set up.

(ps: if you really liked The Giver and are getting really pissed off at me right now, don't take it personally. I was a very cynical twelve year old.)

Read for: 6th grade English

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abbey (new) - added it

Abbey Vh I actually really don't enjoy the book so far. It's very wierd and strange and I hate how everything is so perfect. Im glad this is just a book, because in real life people would be insane to act like this.

Taylor I have to totally agree with you entirely on this. I had SO many people tell me how WONDERFUL and AMAZING and ENLIGHTENING this book was, but when I finished, all I could think was, "THAT was what all of my friends were telling me I HAD to read? Really?"

Joyzi I like your review, my thoughts exactly I didn't enjoy the book also, too weird.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

How was the ending crap?

Morgan I had to read that for 6 grade English to
Huh

Audrey *cough*therearethreemorebooks*cough*

Madeline *cough*thesequelsareaboutdifferentcharacters*cough*

Audrey Madeline wrote: "*cough*thesequelsareaboutdifferentcharacters*cough*"

*cough*butintheendeverythingisrelated*cough*

Rob McCarl A.K.A. Achetski Acket (seeker of death ) I also had 2 read this book back in 6th grade and i regreted every minute of it