Madeline's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

111921
This is the part where I'm supposed to go, "Ooh, this book is such a terrifying wake-up call to the dark side of our views of Paradise, and even though we wish death and pain weren't a part of our lives, they're necessary because without them we would be ignorant and lost, and blah blah blah..."

So: Ooh, this book is such a terrifying wake-up call to the dark side of our views of Paradise, and even though we wish death and pain weren't a part of our lives, they're necessary because without them we would be ignorant and lost, and blah blah blah.

I get it, Ms. Lowry. I'm sure everyone is right when they say this book is brilliant, 1984 for twelve-year-olds, etc, but...I just didn't like it. Plus the ending was kind of crap, and I wish you would've explained a lot more about how that world was set up.

(ps: if you really liked The Giver and are getting really pissed off at me right now, don't take it personally. I was a very cynical twelve year old.)

Read for: 6th grade English
43 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

message 1: by Abbey (new) - added it

Abbey Vh I actually really don't enjoy the book so far. It's very wierd and strange and I hate how everything is so perfect. Im glad this is just a book, because in real life people would be insane to act like this.

Taylor I have to totally agree with you entirely on this. I had SO many people tell me how WONDERFUL and AMAZING and ENLIGHTENING this book was, but when I finished, all I could think was, "THAT was what all of my friends were telling me I HAD to read? Really?"

Joyzi I like your review, my thoughts exactly I didn't enjoy the book also, too weird.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

How was the ending crap?

Morgan I had to read that for 6 grade English to
Huh

Audrey *cough*therearethreemorebooks*cough*

Madeline *cough*thesequelsareaboutdifferentcharacters*cough*

Audrey Madeline wrote: "*cough*thesequelsareaboutdifferentcharacters*cough*"

*cough*butintheendeverythingisrelated*cough*

Achetski Acket (seeker of souls) I also had 2 read this book back in 6th grade and i regreted every minute of it

message 10: by Uli (new) - rated it 2 stars

Uli Vogel I have to teach it to my students
..third year in a row and two classes a year. Ugh doesn't really make it more readable.
I think the film adaption is SLIGHTLY better making more sense. Possibly just my subjective impression because the Dude put all of his heart blood into it.

message 11: by heyyy (new)

heyyy there are more books. use your brain. they al connect. For example: You said it would be nice if Ms.Lowry could explain the new place that Jonas found in the end. Well she touches on it in Gathering Blue and Son. She also describe it fully in Messenger.

so: think again