colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > Timeless

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: steampunk, romantic, historical-fantasy
Read from February 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

4.5

This is a really fun book, in a fun series, and I almost want to give it 5 stars, but I can't help but feeling just a small sense of dissatisfaction which is keeping me from jumping it with a full 5.

The book starts off very strong. It picks up about 2 years after the end of the last book, and Prudence as a child had me laughing out loud on the train more than once, and Ivy, who's a big part of this story, left me chuckling and shaking my head and just the first several chapters are hysterical.

It takes awhile to get to the real meat of the story and, honestly, I didn't mind all that much because everything else was such a pleasure.

But when we did get to the heart of the plot it felt, I don't know, a bit discombobulated, I suppose. It retained some, though not all, of the humor and wryness as things started turning more serious, but it was more that things were happening almost too quickly and I just couldn't shake this niggling feeling like I was missing something.

Part of it, perhaps, is the usual mystery sort of atmosphere where you only know so much as the main character, so you are actually missing pieces, but even after everything was 'resolved' I felt like some things were just too glossed over and not really explained to my satisfaction (for instance (view spoiler) I could live with this if this wasn't the last book in the series*.

Conversely, there were some parts that were, perhaps, a bit too pat. (Such as (view spoiler))

And while I really enjoyed the scenes with Lyall and Biffy and their (view spoiler), I would've liked to have seen more of the 'Lyall to the rescue' that we saw in past books and, also, I'm not sure how I feel about Biffy (view spoiler)

So, while, overall I enjoyed the series, once again the real joy lies in the characters and the humor and the interaction and not so much in the actual plot line.

Ah well. At least there was quite a lot of the good stuff to get me through. ;)

* While this is the last book of the series starring Alexia, there is a follow-up series with Prudence so I console myself that we haven't heard the last of some of those loose ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

02/24/2012 page 24
6.0% "Starts off about 2 years after the last book. Haven't gotten very far, but I've already chuckled out loud a few times on the train - so it's all good. :)" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hayley Completely agree with you. All the characters needed more...finishing.