Leonardo's Reviews > Pierres de brume

Pierres de brume by Marc Piskic

Nov 09, 2010

bookshelves: 19th-century, comics-and-graphic-novels, cities, death-and-funerary-art, illustrated-books, mystery-and-horror, occultism, romanticism
Recommended for: Dark romantics, enthusiasts of European graphic novels
Read from October 20 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

A remarkable first installment in what will certainly be a band dessinée series to be remembered for a long time. The (re)creation of a perfectly believable (but equally eerie) Paris, during the heyday of the Second Empire, is quite an achievement for Piskic, who uses a very limited palette (mostly ochres and greys, someties verging on the monochromatic) to perfectly match the mood and the plot of what can be best described as an occultist/romantic thriller. As we follow the young reporter, Tristan Sphalt, we are plunged into a Paris of cemeteries, asylums, and deadly underworlds. The intriguing and recurring presence of the protagonist's dilettante protector provides this book with a very elegant, almost velvety, would-be villain (or at least that’s what the author would like us to believe… perhaps that’s the main flaw of the book: always having D’Onfroy save Tristan on the nick of time, just at the moment when he would most easily be confused with the real, so-far unnamed villain) .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pierres de brume.