Sharon's Reviews > Marjorie Morningstar

Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk

Nov 09, 2010

Recommended to Sharon by: a serendipitous finding!
Read in January, 1965 , read count: 1

I LOVED this book, read when I was probably thirteen or fourteen. It was the very first "written for adults" book I ever read, & was a wonderful choice! I have only vague memories of the story...remember the ideas of "theater", "Noel" (her love interest)& "Judiaism", but nothing in any detail. It's the way I remember loving it that means the most to me. Definitely DON'T want to re-read! I'm sure it's very dated, and I want to continue to enjoy my vague memories. I'm sure my age at the time, just being on the brink of maturing, and my life & circumstances then, added to the feeling that this was like "opening a window" into the adult world I was about to enter.
Herman Wouk is a wonderful writer, and reading Marjorie Morningstar launched me on a quest to read many of his books. Time very well spent..
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marjorie Morningstar.

message 1: by judy (new)

judy I read it when you did and maybe every decade or two thereafter. I finished my final re-read of the poor shredded book today. You are wise not to read it again. It is a period piece and doesn't stand the test of time. Looking at it from a modern point of view, I found it ridiculous, trite and insulting. I am glad I once loved it so much that the book was falling apart. That made it easier to put in the trash. Sad lesson learned.

Sharon judy wrote: "I read it when you did and maybe every decade or two thereafter. I finished my final re-read of the poor shredded book today. You are wise not to read it again. It is a period piece and doesn't s..."

Judy,
Interesting that we both read this at the same point in life. Thank you for validating my reluctance to try and read again. Sorry the wonderful memory couldn't last for you.