Jessica's Reviews > Sloppy Firsts

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: 16-chick-lit
Read from December 29 to 30, 2010

Well now, this was refreshing!

My namesake Jessica is a very likable protagonist, whom I could easily relate to. She’s witty, sarcastic, smart and I just love her snarky attitude. People tell me that most of the time it seems like I have "piss off" tattooed on my forehead, so when I learned that Jessica’s dad’s nickname for her was "Notso" as in Jessica Not-So-Darling I knew that we would be getting along just fine - because despite her last name, which is Darling, she is anything but sweet and darling.

Jessica has a lot on her plate. Her BFF Hope was shipped off to Tennessee and now she’s stuck with a clique of seemingly dumb girls she doesn’t really like (The Clueless Crew), her crush doesn’t even know her name and is absolutely unattainable for her, she feels misunderstood by her parents and her perfect older sister, who totally overshadows her, is being a pain. Sounds familiar? Yeah, I know. At first sight, Sloppy Firsts seems to be your typical YA novel, dealing with the standard teen issues. What’s different though is the protagonist. Jessica is level-headed and out of self-respect she made the right decisions where I expected her to go wrong. She really isn’t perfect, mind you, but she has guts and stays true to herself.

Sloppy Firsts was surprisingly complex. I liked that it wasn't focused on only one facet of the story but rather dealt with all of them in equal parts. Jessica’s difficult relationship with her family, her friendship with Hope and the members of the Clueless Crew, her forlorn crush on Paul Parlipiano and her weird relationship/friendship/fling/whatsoever with Marcus Flutie...each of those topics were dealt with thoroughly.

To sum it up: A highly enjoyable read that I’d definitely recommend to my booker friends.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sloppy Firsts.

12/29/2010 page 125
45.0% "I LIKE!!!" 5 comments
12/30/2010 page 280
100.0% 2 comments

Jessica Alright Nic, let's start reading! :)

message 2: by Nic (new)

Nic Oh goody :)

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Happy Reading you guys!

Jessica Thankies :D

Janina Can't wait to hear what you think! I really want to read this series, too, but I've always been hesitant to buy the first book because it used to be pretty expensive (at least at amazon).

message 6: by Kim (last edited Dec 29, 2010 07:50AM) (new) - added it

Kim I want to read this too! *looks at Jen*
It's on my Kindle but I need to finish Let It Snow and The Giver because I have like... 3 days left to make it to my 150-books-goal.

Jessica @Janina: Yeah, it really is expensive for a paperback!

I won't make it to my 150-books-goal :(

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I have 3 books left to make it to 150. I don't think I'll make it either Jess. I need sleep... 8 books in 10 days made me tired. :/

Jessica Hehe, I can understand that this made you tired :)

I'm kinda bummed that I only made it up to 113 books so far. The Anna induced book-depression I had last week didn't help either. After I had read AATFK 4 times in a row I had to take a break for a few days and couldn't read anything else because I just couldn't get into it. Books I really, really love always do that to me. :-/

message 10: by Nic (new)

Nic I have 3 books to go but I made my goal for 2010 which was 144!

Jessica, they do the same to me. It is always hard to pick the next book :)

message 11: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I only need one more book and I'll make it to 250 :D:D

Jessica *worships the ground Tina walks on*

message 13: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Ha Ha Ha!

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen YAAAAAAAAAY JESSICA!

message 15: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Jess, I'd count that as 4 reads then. I love that book! Definitely worthy of a few re-reads.. back to back to back. :P

Tina... Impressive! So awesome!! :)

Morgan F Tina, WHAT! Holy crap, girl, you gotz skill.

I won't make it to 150. I'm not sure where I'm at, but I think its in the 140's. Ive just been so busy the past month. I've been on vacation for nearly a week and I haven't even finished a book! Damn homework .

message 17: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I'm now at 148. I think I'll sit at Borders for a few hours tomorrow and read a couple of mangas. Those count, right? LOL

Morgan, I'd give up reading for a week if I could go to Hogwarts. IN.A.HEARTBEAT!

Jessica Arlene wrote: "Jess, I'd count that as 4 reads then. I love that book! Definitely worthy of a few re-reads.. back to back to back. :P"

LOL Arlene! :)

message 19: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim ~Tina~ wrote: "I only need one more book and I'll make it to 250 :D:D"

I choked on my sandwich. Marry me, Tina.

message 20: by Kim (last edited Dec 30, 2010 03:57AM) (new) - added it

Kim Jessica wrote: "Hehe, I can understand that this made you tired :)

*LOUDLY MUMBLES 'FOUR TIMES? FOUR? F.O.U.R?*

Jessica I thought we had established the fact that I am a weirdo...yes, 4 times.

Janina Kim, I see you mumbling a lot lately ;).
Wow Tina, 250?! I'm stuck somewhere around 130. I'm not really in the mood to read at the moment, don't know why :(. And I didn't have time anyway around Christmas.

message 23: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Yes. But even for you, that's weird. *frowns* Tell, me, how many times did you read Twilight... in a row?

Janina, it's just that specific book that makes me mumble. ^^

Jessica What can I say? AATFK just totally blew me away...it was exactly what I was looking for at that time.

Do you really want to hear the answer to that question? ;-) Hmm, I don't remember exactly but I think I read Twilight 5 or 6 times. *hangs her head in shame*

message 25: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I read Twilight for almost a year straight. I'm not kidding, I was crazy insane about those books. The Mortal Instruments finally got me out of that obsession and thus began my craving for more books and I joined this lovely establishment:)

I read Anna four times as well, it's been a long time since I couldn't stop reading a book. Anna is very impressive.

Jessica I love you right now, Tina. Not that I'm not always doing that but right now I love you very much :D I'm glad I'm not the only freak here ;-)
It was exactly the same for me! I started reading tons of books after I got over my Twilight obsession and The Mortal Instruments series was the first that came up to the Twilight series!

message 27: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Wow Tina XD A year? I got tired of it after reading it 3 times, which is a lot, for me.

Jessica Oh, you read it 3 times? I wouldn't have thought...

message 29: by Kim (last edited Dec 30, 2010 09:32AM) (new) - added it

Kim Yeah. I read all of them 3 times. Except for BD. I barely made it the first time. Thinking about it makes my stomach queasy.

You obviously haven't seen my bookshelf yet Jess ^^ I believe it was Teccc who commented on how many copies I own of those books. And that was before I got the ones with the white covers. XD

message 30: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ LOL Jess, I love ya too and I totally understand where your coming from. Twilight might be getting old, but I still to this day reach for them when I got a quote stuck in my head. Plus, if I didn't read those books then I wouldn't have feel in love with paranormal and that would have been a crying shame. Sooo many great books out there XD

Kim, I'm still jealous of those white Twilight books of yours. It's not available to order to Canada:(

message 31: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Are you sure Tina? They are available for Canada on TBD.com, it says so on the list, but I could be mistaken of course.

If so, do you want me to see what I can do for you?

message 32: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I'm sure:( They say that all the time for certain books but when I go order them it says out of stock, then when it's back it's gone again. I sent them an e-mail and they said those books aren't available for my country. It's not just those ones. I can't get Dark Reflections: The Water Mirror; The Stone Light; The Glass Word or Entangled either, amongst others.
TBD is great most of the time, but yeah, there a pain.

message 33: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Jess, I really want to read this book now. First Jen, now you.... GAH. WHY DO I HAVE TO BE AT WORK FOR 8 HOURS EVERY GODDAMN DAY, I should be spending my time on more important things! LIKE BOOKS.

message 34: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Awesome review! I'm still not sure about this book, but it's worth taking a look at:)

Jessica Kim wrote: "GAH. WHY DO I HAVE TO BE AT WORK FOR 8 HOURS EVERY GODDAMN DAY, I should be spending my time on more important things! LIKE BOOKS."

I couldn't agree more! Luckily I don't have to work next week! YAY! :D

Thank you, Tina! Why are you unsure?

message 36: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I have this book so now I'm even more eager to read it. Great review Jess!!

message 37: by Nic (new)

Nic Wow, you were fast Jessica! I am still only 50 pages in. I am trying to read 2 books at once, we have visited over yesterday, no power and a snake encounter at the house.

Great review, must keep reading.....

Tina, the white covers have just been released here in Australia. They are in all the bookstores. Hopefully that means Canada should be soon!

Jessica *makes a horrified face* Snake encounter? But you guys are, like, used to this, right?

Yes, I did! I really hope you'll like it, too! :)

message 39: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I dunno, I've never been a huge YA chicklit fan and I remember getting this from my lib and reading like the first chapter and I was already bored. I think it was my mood though. I'll have to get it again one day since everyone seems to really like it:)

Really Nic? That's good news, something to hope for anywho's:)

message 40: by Nic (new)

Nic @ Jessica - yeah I am kind of use to it. I live on 7 acres of bush but this is the first snake near the house encounter of the season. My little kitten that I like to call Grim but my husband calls Jose decided he would stir it up and chase it towards the house. We had to get out the shovel (since it was a dangerous snake) and poor little snake went to snake heaven.

@ Tina, I like Jessica Darling series but I don't know if it is the writing or because Jessica thinks too much but it hurts my head. It is going to be a slow read. Oh and I am crossing my fingers for the white covers for you.

Sorry about the ramble.....

message 41: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Exactly! It didn't grab my attention when I tried to read it back ago, still I'm willing to try again one day:)

I've been looking and so far I can't find the white covers:) Oh, and your not rambling lol

Jessica Nic, I know what you mean. The writing takes some getting used to!