Katelyn's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: own
Read from January 10 to 11, 2012

It's not very common, but sometimes readers get very lucky and manage to find an author that just captures their attention and refuses to let go. I've come to realize that Amanda Hocking is one of those authors for me. Her previous series, My Blood Approves gripped me from the very beginning and four books later, I still couldn't get enough of her writing, her characters, or the massively unique and creative worlds she designed. I was worried that her Trylle series would not live up to my expectations (because they were already so high) but I should have known better. Once again Hocking got her hooks into me and once again when I finished her last page, I was far from content. I needed more. More of her writing, more of her characters and more of this new and fascinating world. How does she do that?

I know people talk and rave about her being an overnight self-published success, but she claims that her accomplishments stem from years of hard work, and who wouldn't believe that? Readers instantly can appreciate the details that go into her writing and plot lines. She allows her readers to use their imagination for some things while filling our heads with creations I had never believed possible. It's addicting and I'm not silly enough to believe that she's anywhere close to reaching her pique. It's a gift (her writing ability) and she's on a roll.

If someone would have told me that I would enjoy a book revolving around trolls I would have rolled my eyes and paid them no mind. But I was once again proven wrong and couldn't be happier about that fact. Hocking takes trolls and gives them a makeover like no other. We're not talking about horrible green, gigantic monsters that could crush you on site. They're not helpless by any means (or at least most of them aren't) but they're vastly different from the tales I grew up with. And that's one of main reasons I'm drawn to Hocking's writing. She takes age old stigmas and twists them around until she's created something entirely her own. Vampires received her own twist of detail in her My Blood Approves series, and this time around, the Trylle trilogy helps the trolls be seen in a new light.

If you've never taken the time to check out Hocking's work, correct this mistake immediately and pick up both her My Blood Approves series (the fifth book will be out soon) and then grab a copy of Switched....you won't regret it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

01/10/2012 page 165