Jessica B's Reviews > City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Oct 11, 13

bookshelves: released-in-2010, ghosts, delirity-challenges, 2010, favourite-reads, own, witchcraft, re-reads, audio-books, 2013, jessica-s-2013-challenge
Read from November 17, 2010 to October 10, 2013, read count: 2

Okay... I think I have finally found it. My favourite book of 2010. I have been going over and over in my head all the books I've read this year and which one would sit on top. This one took the crown and is wearing it proudly.

Chess yet again is asked to do the impossible in this book by her employers. She takes on a case bigger then she could have possibly imagined and does everything she can to ensure the few things she actually cares about are taken care of.

She pulls of some pretty excellent sleuthing in this book. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I couldn't figure out without reading. All sorts of twists and turns that kept me glued to the pages. I tried to go slowly through the book and enjoy it but I still zoomed through much to fast. For now I have a lonely whole in my life that I'm afraid no book will be up to the challenge of filling more many days to come.

I love Chess and I love Terrible (every time Terrible's name was on the page I just couldn't pull myself away FOR ANYTHING) and I love everything about the Downside Ghosts series.

Thank you Ms. Kane for writing such a wonderful, exciting book!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ghosts.

Quotes Jessica B Liked

Stacia Kane
“But she never thought about the way Terrible looked, at least not that way. He hadn’t been ugly to her for months; he’d gone from just being a face she was familiar with to being a face she loved to look at, a face that made her….happy. Who gave a shit what anyone else saw when they looked at him, when they saw the crooked, many times broken nose, or the scars, or the jutting brow or thick jaw and heavy muttonchops? She knew what she saw, and that was all that mattered. Knew what was behind those hard dark eyes, and wanted it more than anything.”

Stacia Kane
“How the hell did people do this, this emotion-and-forgiveness thing? How did they stand these feelings? She could barely handle it and she had lovely, necessary, reason-for-living drugs to smooth over the rough spots. How did people do this shit sober?”
tags: chess

Stacia Kane
“You know I do, aye? Love you right, Chessiebomb.”

11/17/2010
09/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/11/2013 marked as: read
show 10 hidden updates…

Carolyn F. I just picked this up from the library!

Jessica B That's awesome! I can't wait to hear what you think!