Kymba Khan's Reviews > A Local Habitation

A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire

Nov 27, 10

Read from November 20 to 27, 2010

This book rates a "throw it". Skip to book 3.
I'd rather Toby was billed as a princess, that would better excuse for a 50 year-old changeling with enough (alleged) smarts to live in both Fae and Mortal worlds, and mother of a 6 y.o., being unaware, naive and hormonal while chewing scenery so intensely and ineptly. Frankly, the fairy world is known for being a place of tricks and traps, and our "hero" wouldn't last a week there; since when do mortal detectives "detect" by listening to you, taking your words at face value and being satisfied? A lack of curiosity is fatal to a detective story, and because all the strikes are telegraphed so damn boldly the reader is left wondering what the hell is wrong with the detective. Ugh. There are Mary-Sue'isms galore: Every pureblood male falls in love with her, disregarding the world-building statements about how abused, ignored, and passed-over changelings are. She's complemented profusely for failures I was gagging at; everyone she's supposed to protect is hurt or killed because as a magically talented private eye, she can't detect magic when she or those around her are being sledgehammered with it. Her teenage sidekick displays more maturity than she does, when not dragging her down to his level; kicking under the table because both of them are insta-crushing on people they've just met, while questioning suspects, REALLY? The book is full of uncomfortable passages that left me muttering "really? .. no, really?" with annoying frequency; the lead character says but does not do, and that kind of character development just seems weak to me, especially when the say is so contradictory of the doing that I can't imagine her *ever* being like she describes herself.
I hope it's a sophomore slump, I liked the first book and I really want some "local" urban fantasy!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Local Habitation.

11/21/2010 page 75
20.0% "There's only one problem with Seanan's work, in both books, and unfortunately it's one of those that is HUGE and makes me ranty; doing things for minutes. Really? Minutes? Coughing for minutes before answering.. that's one HELL of a stilted conversation. Seriously, her editor should run a find and replace, MOMENTS for minutes, or "a minute" for every fucking "a few minutes." THERE, i said it. otherwise, great books"
11/24/2010 page 104
28.0% "jebus chrispies, the phones don't work and etc and they're all routed through a dyrad in the system.. and the "private detective" is busy posing all over the place and is no where NEAR asking the question that should be primary; why and how is the knowe being isolated from the outside?"
11/24/2010 page 135
36.0% ""We need to get to the generators," and other things No One but the Great Detective would have thought of when the power goes out. 9_9 it's getting painful, this book.. just.. "Hoping my bitterness didn't show," she says. Bitterness? Oh please, there's a bossy know-nothing on the loose, and people are dying! Ugh.. throw this one."
11/26/2010 page 257
68.0% "You should always go to sleep right when someone has something really important to volunteer."
11/26/2010 page 262
69.0% "The owner of the knowe goes missing and Super Detective forgets to shout for the supernatural "paging" system Alice; you know, the one who always knows where everyone is and can be summoned by calling "Alice?" This book is like punishment, all the freaking headslapping moments adding up to guaranteed brain damage. I can't complain enough. =("
11/26/2010 page 262
69.0% "The owner of the knowe goes missing and Super Detective forgets to shout for the supernatural "paging" system April; you know, the one who always knows where everyone is and can be summoned by calling "April?" This book is like punishment, all the freaking headslapping moments adding up to guaranteed brain damage. I can't complain enough. =("
11/27/2010 page 270
72.0% "Super Detective takes a ridiculous "teaching moment" excuse for exposition, then blazes right on away from the scene without, you know, letting the new kid taste live blood and really learn something for a change."
11/27/2010 page 270
72.0% ""I became a detective because I was good at focusing my attention.." LOL. Detective is 50 and supposedly maintained a ruse relationship, feigning humanity, for ~6 years. She had a child and was a mother. ...This character is written like a nutty 20 year old. It would be okay if she wasn't so fucking arrogant about experience while being so incompetent, or something. Getting through this book is a TRIAL."
11/27/2010 page 370
98.0% "Thank gawd that's over. Meh, pure and simple."
11/27/2010 page 377
100.0% "Thank gawd that's over. Meh, pure and simple. I almost threw the book at "It's my fault Daddy left!" Could it be any weaker?"
11/27/2010 page 377
100.0% "'m finished with A Local Habitation: Thank gawd that's over. Meh, pure and simple. I almost threw the book at "It's my fault Daddy left!" Could it be any weaker? Also, along the lines of "minutes" to do things; the person dangling and fucking around shouldn't be the one to snap out of their horseshit and bark at people who have been standing around indulgently "Come on." Toby reads like a role-play character."
11/27/2010 page 377
100.0% "Thank gawd that's over. Meh, pure and simple. I almost threw the book at "It's my fault Daddy left!" Could it be any weaker? Also, along the lines of "minutes" to do things; the person dangling and fucking around shouldn't be the one to snap out of their horseshit and bark at people who have been standing around indulgently "Come on." Toby reads like a role-play character."
show 1 hidden update…