Sweet on Books's Reviews > The Popularity Papers: Research for the Social Improvement and General Betterment of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang

The Popularity Papers by Amy Ignatow

Nov 09, 10

bookshelves: independent-reader-jr, melissa-y

The full title of this book is "The Popularity Papers: Research for the Social Improvement and General Betterment of Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang." The subtitle explains the premise of this terrific middle grade novel. Fifth graders, Julie and Lydia, embark on a project they call the Popularity Papers. They are on a quest to study popularity and to be popular themselves. They would like to start junior high next year ahead of the curve.

This may sound scary to some parents. Perhaps you are thinking, I don't want my daughter to worry about such trivial things, etc., and by buying this book I am buying into the notion that popularity is important. If so, you would be wrong! This is a hysterical commentary on the late elementary/early middle school scene, that actually skewers that whole idea of popularity. It allows kids to see the ridiculousness of it all. What author Ignatow has done, in a highly entertaining package, is quite brilliant. The humor is witty and dry and combined with the drawings, truly side-splitting.

I enjoyed this book immensely, as did my nine year old daughter. Lydia lives with her single mom and Julie lives with her two dads. Just might be worth noting in case either of these two situations affect you and your family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Popularity Papers.