Al Philipson's Reviews > The Fighter King

The Fighter King by John Bowers

4519287
Jun 08, 12

Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys military science fiction
read count: 1

Al Philipsons Review:

I’ve been reading the Fighter Queen saga as the books came out, so I was expecting something exceptional when I started this prequel.

Wow! I got it and more. This is a great story, told by the master of military science fiction.

The main character, Oliver, starts out as a soft, rich kid who’s anti-war in spite of his father’s business of selling fighter space craft to anyone who’ll buy them — including the aggressive Sirians, a bunch of KKK types who’ve colonized a planet that circles one of the planets in a binary star system. His only major skill seems to be an ability to hit just about anything at any distance with his antique hunting rifle.

His first taste of reality comes when his news reporter sister is killed in an unlikely “accident” on Sirius.

The Sirians are in the slave-owning business and Oliver suspects they plan to use them to invade Vega, a planet of genetically enhanced people that produces some of the most beautiful people in the galaxy. The price of a Vegan woman on Sirius is very high. So, Oliver trots off to Vega to sell them some of his dad’s fighters to help them defend against the inevitable invasion from the Sirians.

Well, it turns out his timing is a bit off. Just after closing the deal, Sirius attacks while Oliver is still on the planet and he misses his ride home as the liner leaves orbit to avoid the invading forces.

Oliver has to grow up fast and face reality. Does he hang around just long enough to get off planet or stay and help the Vegans? Circumstances make up his mind for him and the rest is where the story gets really interesting. I couldn’t put it down.

Suck in that flabby gut, grab your gun, and get your mind in the game recruit. Keep your feet dry; you’re in the army now.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fighter King.