Cally Taylor's Reviews > The Unit

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist

Nov 09, 2010

** spoiler alert ** A fantastic, gripping book about a dystopian society where men and women of a certain age (and are childless and of uncertain income) are classified as 'disposable' and sent to 'The Unit'. Once incarcerated they must take part in medical testing and donate organs and body parts until, eventually, they make their 'final' donation.

I found this book fascinatingly unnerving – which was testament to the author’s skill and the main character’s voice – and I was rooting for Dorrit all the way through. I really wanted to give the book five stars but the ending was a tiny bit disappointing. I wasn’t sure I bought a minor character’s motivations for doing what ‘he’ did and it felt like a bit of a quick fix to move the novel to its inevitable conclusion. That said I found it impossible to put this novel down and greedily devoured it in a couple of days and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Margaret Atwood’s ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ and Huxley and Orwell’s dystopian novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unit.