Dixie Thamrin's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart

Nov 10, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Prepare yourself for another wild yet amazing adventure! This time Reynie, Sticky, Kate, and Constance are back again to save The Whisperer from its wicked inventor, Mr. Leodroptha Curtain.

The story begins with an explanation of the prisoner's dilemma, which I found quite interesting. The problem started when Constance was missing. Her runaway was followed by a total blackout in the town, causing chaos everywhere. The chaos was used by Mr. Curtain and his gang, The Executive, to trap the children with findable clues and breakable codes. Unfortunately, the children got into the trap and they were kidnapped.

When they found out that they were brought to a faraway prison that was under renovation, they began to set some tricks to get out. Again, the luck wasn't on their side. The Executive found them and locked them again in a tower. Not running out of ideas, Constance used her ability to send the news by vision to Mr. Benedict, and she got a vision back from him, telling her that he and all the agents would save them.

Okay, I won't tell you the rest of the story. All I can say is, this book is breathtaking. It reminds me of Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix, where Harry and his friends were got into Voldemort's trap (just like the children were got into Mr. Curtain's trap), fought against the Death Eater and Voldemort himself (in this case, The Executive and Mr. Curtain), and got help from the members of the Order of Phoenix (just like the children got help from Mr. Benedict's agent). The difference between Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix and this book is, it's MUCH better than Harry Potter, because no one died in the end and they all had happy endings.

I should give the author more credit, though, for making such genius riddles in this book. The riddles were brilliantly made, and it definitely adds to the excitement. I read the riddles and couldn't stop wondering the answers, and when they were revealed, I was flabbergasted. They're just smart, genius, and brilliant!

When I finished reading this book, I felt some satisfaction. What satisfaction? Well, when when everything turned out to be okay, it's enough to make me satisfied. I recommend you to read the two previous books before reading this one, or you'll get confused because the story is continual.

Happy reading and enjoy the adventure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Abby I really do think this book is better than harry potter and the order of the phionex, mostly for that reason and the fact that the order of the phionex is my Least favorite book of the series.