Jennifer's Reviews > Because of Mr. Terupt

Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Nov 09, 10

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction
Read in November, 2010

Wonderful first 100 pages or so--fully realized 5th grade characters, realistic relationships and angst. Then, it all goes downhill after the tragic accident that changes the classroom and the all the kids in it. They begin to articulate platitudes and lessons learned that sound less like 5th grade kids and more like a well-meaning adult writing a childrens' book. Kids aren't dumb. They'll get the meaning, even if you spell it out for them. I was sad to see the story crash and burn after such a promising beginning.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Mr. Terupt.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jamie I felt exactly the same way, and I committed the crucial error of recommending it to someone after the first 100 pages.

I think I'm going to let the first 100 pages come out on top though.

message 3: by Todd (new) - rated it 1 star

Todd How did this book win the Nutmeg award? Agree that it read like a well-meaning adult but definitely one who did not understand subtlety or what kids really sound like when they speak to one another. Read like a religious pamphlet at times!

Jennifer Perhaps there were several well meaning adults on the Nutmeg committee :)

message 1: by Todd (new) - rated it 1 star