Dan's Reviews > Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit

Mindhunter by John E. Douglas

Nov 09, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, kindle-books
Read in November, 2010

Very interesting book, I could not put it down. Mr. Douglas tells a compelling story about how profiling of extremely evil people works, giving us a behind the scenes look at his craft. Warning, some of the details of what these violent predators do are very disturbing, and while he doesn't go into great detail about their actions, he does necessarily give you the summary of it, which is still disturbing. I read until 4am, and had to quit because I started seeing things in the dark. I honestly don't know how Mr Douglas gets any sleep at night, having seen the things that he has seen. In his book, he does state "anyone can be a victim" and after reading of all these terrible people, and how easily they perpetrated their crimes on their victims, I don't think I will ever feel safe, anywhere again. Knowing there are these evil, psychopaths out there just freaks me out. But I am glad that there are people like Mr. Douglas who stand ready to capture them once they start their crimes.

One thing I do have to mention is that he does spend too much time talking about his early life, before the FBI, which makes this book more of an autobiography. I just skipped those parts, however, and it was fine.

I highly recommend this book, if you have any interest at all in criminal profiling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindhunter.