Capsguy's Reviews > Everything Flows

4206268
Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: russian, must-reread-in-my-life, war
Read in March, 2011

Hands down one of the most influential reads I have had in quite some time, I am so thankful that I had 'Life and Fate' and 'The Road' read previously so that I could better understand the arguments and beliefs of the author and who Grossman as a person.

I loved the sifting between the fictional elements of the story and the additions Grossman had put throughout the book about the cycle of Russia's dependency of slavery from serfdom, to the revolution, back to Stalin's USSR. The details of Kolyma and other camps and atrocities that millions of innocents were subjected to throughout those decades are also worth praising in its' believability and conciseness. The other issues of what is freedom and the development of states through violence and fear were also well worth endeavouring upon.

I will definitely be revisiting this, and the aforementioned works of Grossman that I have read. Also looking forward to checking out more by this under-appreciated and less commonly discussed/critiqued author, who has had such an impression on me over the past three months.

I will leave the literary analysis to the others who know what they are talking about, thought I'd just post my thoughts on something I appreciate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Flows.